Though we might like to think of our home as a safe haven, sadly, the number of annual home accidents is quite shocking. A decided lack of awareness forms the basis of many of those accidents and it is absolutely essential to take a look at some of the main hazards in the home.
The Main Culprits – Defining Home Hazards and How to Minimize Risks
The main accident causes are as follows:
- Falls: Falls are quite common. One in five adults suffers a broken bone as a result of a fall. Slippery bathroom floors, wet stair cases, objects scattered on the floor and lack of stair hand railings are all potential causes. By keeping floors dry with mats, clearing thoroughfares and installing handrails, most falls can be prevented.
- Fire: Sadly and despite countless fire safety campaigns, home fires still cost lives. Get your trusted local electrician like the ones at asburyelectric.com/service-area/toano-va/ or any other similar reputed company to install fire alarms to alert you of a potential fire. Also, make sure that you are cautious when using naked flames. Risks can be reduced by having your central heating serviced regularly. Gas fires and gas boilers can also also be hazardous. Following these steps can help in the eradication of home fires to an extent.
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Carbon Monoxide is often considered the silent killers as it is virtually impossible to detect. Exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide can lead to death. Faulty heating systems, boilers and water heaters can cause carbon monoxide leaks. Regular servicing of these appliances and the installation of carbon monoxide alarms can eliminate this grave risk.
- Burns: Burns from hot chip pans, boiling water, stovetops and naked flames are also rather common. By using caution during use and preventing kids from accessing hot surfaces and liquids, these risk can also be greatly reduced.
- Poisonings: This is obviously an issue for parents of small children and potentially for elderly people living alone. All cleaning detergents and DIY substances must be stored well out of the reach of children. Safety locks on kitchen presses also provide protection.
- Cuts: Accidents suffered through the use of sharp knives and tools are also not uncommon. Caution is required in all instances and all sharp implements must be stored away from children.
- Electric Shocks: Exposed wiring and loose power outlets can be an immense hazard for any curious or unaware child. A single touch to a live wire can be fatal. Get child-proof caps for your electrical outlets and make sure any wiring is properly insulated. A company like Xpert Electric LLC can inspect your home for any hazardous electrical equipment and repair them to prevent any accidents.
- Drownings: Accidental drownings in bathtubs and pools can be prevented by carefully monitoring children in the vicinity of water.
- Choking: This not only an issue for parents of small children but for all of us. Though not particularly common, children and adults suffer choking accidents each year. Monitoring small babies and kids as well as cutting food into small pieces are essential choking prevention measures.
Awareness of these risks is essential in the prevention of accidents. Careful supervision of small children, storing hazardous substances and tools in a safe place and having your heating appliances serviced regularly are the best ways of preventing deadly accidents.