People nowadays spend more on ordering food from cafes and restaurants. With increased competition, food businesses look at innovative ways to attract customers. One of the methods they use is to post attractive food photographs to tempt customers to order from them.
This is where food photographers have a great opportunity. A good food photographer today has unlimited opportunities. If you want to get into food photography, you can expect to do well in this niche area of photography.
Image via Dreamstime.com
Apart from being able to take good photos, you also need to market yourself and your business well. Our guide will explain how you can take your food photography business to the next level through effective marketing.
Is food photography a good business idea?
As long as cafes, restaurants, and businesses in the food sector do marketing, food photographers will always be in demand. All organizations in the food business need top-quality photographs of food items. Some reasons why food photographers will always be in demand are:
- Cafes and restaurants that post attractive food photographs will be able to get the attention of customers.
- Photographs are more impactful than text since they convey the message in a simple yet effective way.
- A quality photograph is an indicator of a quality product. When a customer sees a quality food photo, they would be assured that the restaurant offers quality items on its menu.
- A good photograph works at the emotional level. It triggers different emotions and makes a customer pick up their phone to order or drive down to the outlet.
- Posting food photographs helps to increase engagement for restaurants and cafes. Ultimately, it helps them boost their business.
Marketing your food photography business
1) Know your customers
The first thing you need to do is understand how your customers are. Will you be targeting cafes and restaurants? Are you planning to contact industries that are in the food business? Who are the people who would use your photographs? The answer to this question will help you know your customer.
Once you understand your customer profile, you can then carry out targeted marketing. For instance, if you specialize in taking photographs of desserts and cakes, then you can focus only on that segment. You don’t have to waste time targeting other types of food organizations. Deciding what your offerings are and who your customers are will help you market effectively.
2) Create a top-class portfolio
Why will a client work with you? The answer is because of your ability to take the best food photographs. You need to convince your clients that you can take the best food photographs. The best way to do this is to create a portfolio. Your portfolio should contain the best photographs you have taken with details of the names of the dishes/products and where you have taken the photos.
Initially, you can do free work for some cafes and restaurants. This will allow you to take photos of food items at their outlets. You can add these photos to your portfolio. Apart from creating an online portfolio on your website and social media you also need a printed copy. Spend some money to create a classy printed portfolio with high resolutions photos. It is a great way to convince a client to give you a chance.
3) Market using different channels
You need to market your services by reaching out to clients. There are different ways of doing this:
- You can send printed brochures with samples of your work with an explanation of your services.
- You can also use email marketing and send emails to potential clients.
- Once you send a mailer, you can then make a cold call or take an appointment with the client.
- You can offer a free sample of your work by agreeing to take a few free photos. If they like it, you can then sign an order with them.
- Don’t ignore social media. Market your services on social media by regularly posting content and through ads (where required).
- Be clear about the services you are offering and your charges.
- Before you even start marketing, you need to study the market. Know who your competitors are and what services they offer. Understand how they price their services. Based on all these, you can then decide on your service offerings.
Marketing needs a sustained effort. You should persevere and keep at it until you achieve success. Once you get a client, keep the client happy so they will refer you to more clients.