For most of us, having healthy pearly white teeth can be a challenge. We try our best to get and maintain good oral hygiene through various methods on a day to day basis. At times it can be through brushing, learning about teeth whitening procedures or using various unconventional home remedies that someone told us works. When on a much deserved and long awaited vacation or just traveling, our teeth is one of the last things that we want to concern ourselves with. Here are a few tips that will help to keep your oral health in check while you frolic or simply unwind:
1. Schedule an Appointment- For those who are frequent travelers or who go on extended vacations, it is absolutely necessary to see your Dentist or Hygienist, so that you can opt for the necessary Dental Restoration services before embarking on the journey.
The same applies to your children. This means if you are taking your kids also on the trip, get their teeth also examined. Regrading that, you can search for a reputable pediatric dentist in your vicinity (click here to view an example) and book an appointment with them if your dentist does not extend their services to kids. That way you can start your travels with a healthy oral cavity that you just need to maintain until your next appointment. You should also schedule a future appointment for yourself and your family to attend once the vacation is over. You could even schedule in an appointment for teeth whitening in Beverly Hills, or wherever you are, if you are not confident you are going to be able to keep up your regular dental routine during your travels so that you can get your smile looking beautiful again as soon as you get back.
2. Brushing Kit- A key component to having great oral health is daily maintenance. This is paramount as what you do everyday will show up six months later at your next visit. In your brushing kit you should have a soft/medium bristle toothbrush, toothpaste of your choice from a trusted brand, dental floss and breath mints. Breath mints are important because even when we brush and floss, we can still have halitosis (bad breath) and no one likes that, just ask the person next to you. These items when used in the correct way will certainly allow you to keep your oral hygiene in check. Also ensure that you have the specific tools at hand to maintain your braces or if you have any other dental alterations that require special upkeep. There are other components that are optional such as a travel size mouthwash and a tongue cleaner.
3. You are what you Eat- It is very true and your mouth knows it too, not to mention the nose of other people. Ensure that you drink a lot of water. Yes, it is a vacation and there is so much to see and eat but add some fruits and vegetables to your meals; Your teeth will thank you later, as well as the rest of your body.
4. Your habits become who you are- The same goes for your teeth. It is important to do a thorough cleaning twice a day, mainly at the end of the day for at least 2 minutes. Please do not forget to floss, it is just as important.
5. Do not make it a task- Relax you are on vacation. Prepare your brushing kit beforehand and schedule your appointment. That means while you are traveling from place to place, you just need to remember to brush and floss anywhere- even while taking a tour. When you look back on those photo’s a few years down the line, you will want to say “cheese!” all over again.